If you need a tree for a decoration, or want to create a bird shelter for winter, you can do so easily with a garden obelisk or tomato cage and some fresh cut evergreen boughs. Check a local nursery for the cuttings or your own backyard. The ones I purchased are spruce, I believe. Here's how you can make your own:
What You Will Need:
- Obelisk or large tomato cage
- 3 lbs - 6 lbs of evergreen boughs of choice
- Craft wire
- Large planter filled with soil (optional)
- Landscaping staples (optional)
- Decorations of choice
- If you are using a tomato cage, turn it upside down and tie the ends together to make a point. If you are using an obelisk, push the ends into the ground or fill a large pot with soil and push the obelisk into the soil.
- Starting at the bottom of the metal frame, wrap the end of one evergreen bough with wire and wrap the wire around the metal parts of the frame.
- Continue wrapping each bough around the frame until it's completely covered.
- Decorate the tree with popcorn garlands and birdseed ornaments (find the recipe here) for the birds or decorate it with lights to add a little holiday cheer to your front yard.
- When the needles start to turn brown, stop using lights to help prevent fires.
- If decorating the tree for the birds, avoid brightly colored ribbons as they may scare the birds away.